Saturday, December 11, 2010

Best Ways to Find Blogging Jobs

Knowing the best ways to find blogging jobs will help you make money online -- and make you very very happy. I love blogging for a living. Though I'm not earning over $100,000 a year right now, I expect to be making that much in a year from now. O happy day!

Here's what I think about finding blogging work...

Best Ways to Find Blogging Jobs

Be present in a blogging community. Which community does not really matter — Twitter, writers’ forums, LinkedIn groups, or your own blog – but your presence there is very important. This community can be the blogs you visit on a regular basis or a favorite writer’s discussion board - whatever works for you. To connect and network with other bloggers and writers, visit the site regularly and contribute often.

Use social media -- Twitter, of course! “I use Twitter more for finding news topics, connecting to people, and promotion, rather than finding freelance jobs,” says Nick Belardes. “There are so many fellow journalists and news sources on Twitter who found my Twitter novel. I’ve done several interviews that I think have been really helpful in promoting me, which in turn helps promote my freelance work. Any press that we write or that we get for ourselves via social networking engines like Twitter helps writing careers.”

Find a blogging coach or mentor – but do not copy her blog style or ideas. When I first started freelance writing, I had lunch with a successful travel writer. While she picked at a salad, I picked her brains – and that one meeting was the beginning of my writing and blogging career. Since then, she’s been an invaluable source of support and information. If you want a blogging job, soak up the wisdom of successful bloggers – but never copy their blog styles or steal their ideas and add your own twist! Stand on the shoulders of giants, but forge your own path.

Follow a writing or blogging blog that is growing. My Quips and Tips blogs are growing too big -- they're more than I can handle, and I'm hiring bloggers. I posted my blogger job on Quips and Tips for Successful Writers (Want a Writing Job? Quips and Tips is Hiring Bloggers), and got tons of response. But I can't hire everyone...and you know who I approach first? Bloggers who email me directly and say how much they like my Quips and Tips blogs. I'm not looking for syncophants or suckups, but for people who really know my blogs. So, one of the best ways to find a blogging job is to get to know the growing bloggers!

What do you think of these ways to find blogging jobs? I welcome your comments below...

No comments:

Post a Comment